Total Pageviews

Monday, July 11, 2011

Out of My Mind

Draper, S. (2010). Out of my mind.  New York:
Atheneum.


If you have ever rooted for the underdog, cheered for an u nlikely champion, or simply have a keen sense of justice, this is your kind of story. Out of My Mind is the story of Melody, a girl born with cerebral palsy.  Because she cannot walk or talk as other kids do, Melody is discriminated against and devalued as both a student and as a human being.  Teachers and fellow students set Melody aside, literally and figuratively.  They think there is nothing inside Melody's head because they can't see anything on the outside.  It turns out that she is a better person and a brighter mind than most of the people around her.  Even when other kids treat her very badly, Melody rises above, thanks to her good heart and the people who love her and have always been there for her.  Sharon Draper tells this story that could be the story of any one of us with humor and grace.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon, great blog! I'm a big fan of Shelfari for the way it let's me keep track of the books I've read and follow the books of my friends. I can imagine that it's a wonderful tool for a librarian to open up the wonderful world of books--along with comments and reviews from the world over--to students and teachers. Best wishes! Friend me on Shelfari if you have a mind to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, I haven't read any Sharon Draper books yet, however, it sounds interesting!

    What novel do you recommend for seventh graders?

    -Diana Cedillo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question, Diana! I think Out of My Mind would be a good one. Also, there is a graphic novel entitled Smile by Raina Telgemeier that talks about a girl who falls and injures herself (mouth injury included). She has to deal with how that impacts her self-esteem. The front cover has a picture of a smiley face with braces. This is a time when a lot of these kids are facing these issues with self-concept. Not only does Smile touch on these issues, but also it is a graphic novel (which may hook in some reluctant readers).

    ReplyDelete